[FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 2.29.16]
I find myself with an unexpected loss, of not just a great business partner but truly a dear friend. Charlie Tuna was one of the greatest talents I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. His tireless efforts each and every day created one of the best sounding radio shows in history, and his long career, and extra large heart impacted many lives along the way. I truly miss my daily conversations with Charlie. His laugh, his stories… We often chatted about his children and grandchildren – who are all in my heart, thoughts and prayers. Charlie’s legacy will live on as one of the all-time greatest people and radio personalities ever, and I am honored that he chose me to work with him and to be his friend. Today and every day I will miss my fix of Charlie Tuna – Art Ferguson. Forever yours my friend, may you rest in peace… Steve Wall
… [ media release from 2/29/16]
Los Angeles, Calif., February 29, 2016 –It is with a heavy heart that we share the sad news that American disc jockey and radio personality, Charlie Tuna, passed away peacefully in his sleep February 19th, 2016. His was a life well-lived, and he will always be remembered for the joy, laughter, and love of music he brought to many throughout the world with his presence on the radio. All who knew him will sadly miss him. Memorial donations can be made to Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. We ask that you respect his family’s privacy during their time of grief.
Charlie Tuna worked as morning drive radio personality for more stations and formats than anyone in Los Angeles radio history: Top 40, AC, Hot AC, Oldies, Talk, Sports Talk and Country.
In 1990, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce honored Charlie by presenting him with a Star on the Walk of Fame.
In 1999, he was inducted into his home state Nebraska Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame.
In1997, Los Angeles Radio People readers voted Charlie one of the Top 10 L.A. Radio Personalities of All Time.
In 2007 & again in 2013, Charlie was elected by his LARadio.com broadcast peers as one of the Top 10 Los Angeles Radio Personalities.
Among his L.A. Radio credits:
- Was part of the legendary KHJ Boss Jock line-up; starting KROQ radio; starting KIIS and serving as both Program Director and Morning Man for KIIS AM & FM.
- Tuna was heard around the world daily on the Armed Forces Radio Network for a 25 year 6000 show run from 1971 to 1996, as well as on numerous nationally syndicated radio shows, since the early 1970s.
- He can be heard across the U.S., Canada and internationally on his syndicated 5 hour daily and weekend shows, plus a daily Hollywood Minute entertainment feature.
- Tuna was the announcer for the television game show Scrabble which ran for seven years on NBC, and a dozen other TV shows ranging from the Mike Douglas Show to America’s Top 10 with Casey Kasem. He hosted Cinema, Cinema, Cinemafor 30 years, an internationally syndicated TV show featuring the top movies in the US each week, with clips from the films. He also hosted the international TV show Inside Hollywood for three years.
- Appearances in two movies, hundreds of TV and radio commercials, VH1’s use of Charlie’s Celebrity Interview Archives, dozens of radio station voice imaging clients, narration of the U.S. Air Force’s 50th Anniversary CD, and serving as a musical network TV consultant round out the media side of Charlie Tuna.
- Charlie also raised nearly 2.5 million dollars for Children’ s Hospital in L.A. with his annual “Tunathon” in past years, hosted the red carpet and emceed the Revlon Run/Walk for 5 years, and emceed the annual 4th of July Warner Park in Woodland Hills celebration which attracts annual crowds of over 50,000 spectators.
- Charlie called Tarzana home in California and served as the city’s Honorary Mayor since 1977.
For media inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Charlie Tuna Retrospective Footage
Charlie’s inspiration for radio, Jack Lewis:
Charlie’s journey from Kearney, NE to Los Angeles, CA:
This was Charlie’s plan for Charlie Tuna Syndication.
#1 Charlie Tuna ~ The 70s show continues. The best music from the 70’s and one of a kind moments with Charlie and the biggest stars. Charlie Tuna Best of the 70’s Show.
#2 Daily shows continue with one of Charlie’s approved 24/7 On Air Talents like “Jennifer Wilde” who has been filling in. (Additional talent names and air-checks will be announced soon.)
#3 Charlie Tuna Syndication 24/7 Classic Hits format. Music, Logs, On Air Talent. (Listen Live Link)
#4 Charlie Tuna Hollywood Minute – with Skywalker